Before the dormant season arrives, you need to make sure your lawn is prepared to endure the winter and grow back healthy the following spring. One way you can ensure the health of your lawn is with aeration and overseeding at the beginning and end of the growing season. Lawns in the Chicago area benefit most if aerations and overseeding are done in August or September.
Hendricksen Tree Care provides aeration and overseeding services in Mount Prospect, IL to help residential and commercial lawns. We use aeration equipment to fully aerate the lawn and we provide overseeding after the aeration process to promote new growth.
During the growing season, foot traffic, lawn mowing, and other activities can cause the surface of the lawn to become compacted. This hinders the lawn’s ability to breathe and absorb the water and nutrients it needs which can affect the health of the lawn. This problem will become worse when the cold weather causes the ground to freeze.
The best way to reduce compaction and open up the soil for better air exchange and absorption of water and nutrients is to have the lawn aerated. Aeration is a process in which a machine is used to remove plugs of soil and thatch throughout the lawn, leaving holes in the soil. The plugs that are removed are left on the lawn to decompose and return nutrients back to the soil.
Aeration benefits your lawn in the following ways:
- Breakup of compacted soil and thatch: Aerations help break up compacted soil for better air exchange and water absorption.
- Increase nutrient availability: It is easier for nutrients to reach the soil through the hole created by the aeration process and the leftover plugs deliver nutrients back to the soil as they decompose.
- Helps lawns grow thicker: Aerations help lawns grow thicker by stimulating root development. Overseeding after the aeration process will also help lawns grow thicker.
Overseeding is the process of seeding the surface of the lawn but without turning the soil. After aeration is the best time to overseed because the seeds can settle into the holes created by the aeration process. Overseeding helps lawns grow back thick and healthy the next spring and it can be done to promote new growth in thinning and bare spots.
We will do the following for our overseeding services:
- Identify thinning and bare spots
- Make a blend of seeds appropriate for your lawn
- Evenly spread the seeds over your lawn with special attention on the thinning and bare spots
Once the seeds start to germinate, you will need to water them frequently to help them become established. Overseeding fosters new growth that will help your lawn return thick and healthy the following growing season.
Aeration and Overseeding from Hendricksen
Hendricksen Tree Care can help ensure that your lawn grows thick each growing season with our aeration and overseeding services. The aeration process opens up the soil which allows the seeds to settle in the soil to promote new growth.
You can reach Hendricksen Tree Care at (847) 348-8302 for our aeration and overseeding services in Mount Prospect, IL.
Review by Steven Curl
”They took down a pine in my front yard. They did a great job at fair price. Highly recommend, would hire again.”
Review by Scott Hansen
”Great tree trimming company very professional. Upfront with your costs. Considerate of your property.”