Lawns go dormant during the winter which makes it important to prepare your lawn before the winter so it can grow back strong the following spring. You can improve the long-term health of your lawn and prepare it for the winter with late season aeration and overseeding. It is recommended to have lawns in the Chicago area aerated and seeded in August or September.
At Hendricksen Tree Care, we provide aeration and overseeding services for residential and commercial lawns in Northbrook, IL. Our professionals aerate lawns using the proper equipment and we overseed your lawn after aeration to help it grow back thick and healthy the following season.
By the end of the season, the surface of the lawn may be compacted from foot traffic and other factors. When this happens, it is more difficult for air, water, and nutrients to penetrate the soil which is detrimental to the health of your lawn. The arrival of cold weather will cause the ground to freeze which makes air and water exchange worse.
Aerating the lawn late in the summer reduces the compaction of the soil and allows for better air exchange and easier absorption of water and nutrients. The process of aeration removes plugs of soil and thatch to create holes in the surface, and the plugs are left on the lawn to return nutrients back to the soil as they decompose.
Lawn aeration provides the following benefits:
- Breakup of compacted soil and thatch: The aeration process breaks up soil compaction and thatch which allows the lawn to breathe.
- Increase nutrient availability: Aeration improves the air exchange and absorption of water and nutrients. The decomposition of the plugs also gives nutrients back to the soil.
- Helps lawns grow thicker: Aeration stimulates root development which contributes to a thick, healthy lawn the following spring. This is also the ideal time for overseeding as the seeds will settle into the holes created by the aeration process.
Overseeding is seeding of the lawn with no turning of the soil. This is done after aeration because the seeds can settle and germinate in the holes in the soil from the aeration. Lawns that are seeded are more likely to grow back thick and healthy the next season and overseeding can help thinning and bare spots.
Our overseeding process consists of the following steps:
- We will identify thinning and bare spots
- We create a blend of the right seeds for your lawn
- We spread the seed evenly over the lawn including bare and thinning spots
As the seeds begin to germinate, the lawn will need frequent watering to help the new growth become established. Overseeding promotes new growth that thickens the lawn and helps it resist weeds and diseases.
Aeration and Overseeding from Hendricksen
The aeration and overseeding services provided by Hendricksen Tree Care can help improve the thickness and health of your lawn. Aerations help the soil better absorb water and nutrients while overseeding results in new growth.
Call Hendricksen Tree Care at (847) 305-5524 for more about our aeration and overseeding services in Northbrook, IL.
Review by Steven Curl
”They took down a pine in my front yard. They did a great job at fair price. Highly recommend, would hire again.”
Review by Scott Hansen
”Great tree trimming company very professional. Upfront with your costs. Considerate of your property.”