Prior to the cold drop in temperature in fall and winter, it is important to prepare your lawn for the dormant season. Having your lawn aerated and seeded in late summer will help improve the long-term health of your lawn and ensure that it grows back fully the next season. For most types of grasses in the Chicago area, the best time to aerate and seed your lawn is in the months of August or September.
At Hendricksen Tree Care, we provide overseeding and aerations for residential and commercial lawns in Arlington Heights, IL. Our professionals will aerate your lawn entirely using the proper equipment while also seeding your lawn to help fill in bare spots, ensuring it grows back thicker the following spring.
During the growing season, foot traffic on your lawn can cause the soil and thatch to become compact. This prevents air, water, and nutrients from getting into the soil which can be detrimental to the health of your lawn. The cold season causes the ground to freeze which makes it even more difficult for the lawn to breath.
Aerating the lawn in the closing days of the summer will open the soil back up which will allow for better air exchange and make it easier for the soil to absorb water and nutrients. Aeration machines pull plugs of soil and thatch, leaving holes in the lawn. The plugs pulled are left on the lawn to breakdown and return to the soil. The holes allow water and nutrients to reach the soil.
Lawn aeration provides the following benefits:
- Break up compacted soil and thatch: Aeration breaks up compacted soil and thatch to allow the soil to breathe.
- Increase nutrient availability: Opening up the soil allows for more water and nutrients to penetrate the soil and improves soil air exchange. The plugs that are removed during aeration will also breakdown and return nutrients to the soil.
- Helps lawn grow thicker: Root development and growth is stimulated by aeration which will help the lawn grow back thick the following spring. Overseeding after aeration will also help thicken up the lawn as the seeds will settle in the holes left by the aeration process and foster new growth.
Overseeding is most effective when completed after the aeration process has opened up the soil. Spreading seed in thinning or bare spots will create new growth and help the lawn stay thick and healthy.
Our overseeding services consist of the following steps:
- We will inspect your lawn to find all thinning and bare spots.
- The right seeds are gathered for your type of grass.
- After the lawn is aerated, we will spread the seed evenly over the bare and thinning spots for thicker grass.
When the seeds start to germinate, you will have to water the seeded areas frequently to keep them moist and help them become established. The new growth will make your lawn thicker and help choke out weeds to keep the lawn healthier.
Aeration and Overseeding from Hendricksen
If you want to improve the grass coverage for a thicker lawn, call our professionals at Hendricksen Tree Care for aeration and overseeding. The aeration process will improve water and nutrient absorption and seeding after aeration helps bring new growth.
Give us a call at (847) 348-8302 for aeration and overseeding services in Arlington Heights, IL.